Regional Realignment

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
Bearhugger

Re: Regional Realignment

Postby Bearhugger » Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:28 am

brentsams wrote:Track and Field advances the top three from each region then the 4 best times for 16 participants per event at the state meet. I wonder if wrestling could do something similar with instate winning percentages (minus forfeits). This could or could not include JVs.

Thanks - Brent

So these top three could be from the same school?
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

mscoach4

Postby mscoach4 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:53 am

Bearhugger wrote:
brentsams wrote:Track and Field advances the top three from each region then the 4 best times for 16 participants per event at the state meet. I wonder if wrestling could do something similar with instate winning percentages (minus forfeits). This could or could not include JVs.

Thanks - Brent

Yes,,, but would you really want the rich getting richer?

mscoach4

Postby mscoach4 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:56 am

Another way of looking at the current regional alignment,,,,,,,,

Total cummlative team placement for the last 5 state tournaments
-------------------------------------------------------------
Region 4:
Parkersburg South 9
Huntington 9
Ripley 25
Parkersburg High 17
Cabell Midland 45
Spring Valley 112
Hurricane 141
total: 358
---------------------------------------------------
Region 3:
Capital 139
George Washington 41
Greenbrier East 92
Princeton 164
Riverside 115
South Charleston 166
St. Albans 102
Woodrow Wilson 96
total: 915
-----------------------------------------------
Region 2:
Hampshire 136
Hedgesville 138
Jefferson 144
Martinsburg 131
Musselman 62
Spring Mills 165 *added 2 years of 33avg to get a 5 year score
Washington 49
total: 825
----------------------------------------------
Region 1:
Brooke 97
Buck Up 63
John Marshall 73
Morgantown 112
Preston 108
University 60
Wheeling Park 41
total 554

aacoach94

Postby aacoach94 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:13 am

P.H.D. wrote:
forthekids wrote:Bear hugger as always you missed the point totally. When the comment was made Region 1 AAA consisted of Oak Glen, Brooke John Marshall, Wheeling Park, Parkersburg, Parkersburg South, Weirton then Ripley. The entire point he was making was doesn't matter where you are at. If you train and have the skill level the cream will rise. BTW I didn't here anybody asked Morgantown and University if they wanted to jump in the fire but they did. Why you would bring up present day Brooke just shows why you post on here. They have a new first year coach that has a OVAC champ 1st year. Like all schools the are battling. Get over yourself!

A first year coach had an OVAC CHAMPION? What club is not getting the credit for that wrestler? Give that club the credit due...

A.) Brooke does in fact have 3 ranked wrestlers: 6th (160), 5th (170), and 4th (220); not 3rd, 6th, and 9th.
B.) Alex grew up wrestling with the Vipers Wrestling Club that was run by the late Roger Shaw. Many other successful wrestlers in the Upper Ohio Valley are also products of this club.
C.) Alex put together a tremendous OVAC tournament. He has always been a tremendous wrestler, but I was told in previous years that his biggest problem was putting together a full tournament of solid wrestling. It should stand out that he Alex is a Senior and entered the tournament never placing before. The 220 weight class had 6 returning placers, including the returning champ. Alex actually beat the returning champ (a wrestler from Magnolia where I had coached last year) in the semi-finals, not the finals, which was previously stated. He defeated a wrestler in the finals who was an Ohio state placer last year.
D.) Yes, Brooke has not been at or even near the top recently. I know it is a small sample size, but in just one year, number of athletes on the team are nearly doubled (even have a few JVs), and the team has won 5 more dual meets than last year. We now have a new wrestling room where the mats can stay down all year. So, I think the arrow is pointing up in Brooke County.
E.) Alex winning OVACs the way he did will also help this program. The team saw Alex, a HARD WORKER AND LEADER, win a tournament that he had never before even placed in. Over half of the team is freshman and sophomores, and they are witnessing what hard work and dedication can do.

I know this is off topic, but when the program where I coach is being discussed, I feel as though I should jump in.
Coach D. Doyle

Indiansfan

Postby Indiansfan » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:05 am

Musselman High School has 1525 students.

Promote your team to your student body and stop trying to get wrestlers from other schools. Maybe they would get more wrestlers to come out for the team and have more success.

brentsams

Postby brentsams » Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:47 pm

mscoach4 wrote:
Bearhugger wrote:

Thanks - Brent

My point is not about JVs, but the state wrestling tournament should showcase the state's best wrestlers. I don't have a strong opinion on JVs, whether they should be included or not. I'm indifferent on JVs.
My point is trying to get the best wrestlers to the state. I hate that the varsity wrestlers that have proved themselves all season and ranked in the top ten by coaches maybe left out because of a quality regional opponents. Region 4 will have at least 11 casualties of top ten wrestlers who will not be going to the state tournament. Maybe more if there are upsets at regionals
Here is a list of weight classes in AAA Region 4 that has excess of 4 ranked wrestlers per weight class:
113 - 6 ranked wrestlers
120 - 5 ranked wrestlers
132 - 6 ranked wrestlers
138 - 5 ranked wrestlers
145 - 5 ranked wrestlers
152 - 6 ranked wrestlers
170 - 5 ranked wrestlers
182 - 5 ranked wrestlers
By using the Track and Field process of 3 regional qualifiers and 4 at large bids would help to get the best wrestlers to the state tournament. Not that I think this is the solution, but just brainstorming to eliminate BYEs at the state tournament.
Then again, the over abundance of AAA Region 4 ranked wrestlers may be a result of the majority of voters being from Region 4.

Thanks - Brent

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:15 pm

brentsams wrote:
mscoach4 wrote:
Bearhugger wrote:

My point is not about JVs, but the state wrestling tournament should showcase the state's best wrestlers. I don't have a strong opinion on JVs, whether they should be included or not. I'm indifferent on JVs.
My point is trying to get the best wrestlers to the state. I hate that the varsity wrestlers that have proved themselves all season and ranked in the top ten by coaches maybe left out because of a quality regional opponents. Region 4 will have at least 11 casualties of top ten wrestlers who will not be going to the state tournament. Maybe more if there are upsets at regionals
Here is a list of weight classes in AAA Region 4 that has excess of 4 ranked wrestlers per weight class:
113 - 6 ranked wrestlers
120 - 5 ranked wrestlers
132 - 6 ranked wrestlers
138 - 5 ranked wrestlers
145 - 5 ranked wrestlers
152 - 6 ranked wrestlers
170 - 5 ranked wrestlers
182 - 5 ranked wrestlers
By using the Track and Field process of 3 regional qualifiers and 4 at large bids would help to get the best wrestlers to the state tournament. Not that I think this is the solution, but just brainstorming to eliminate BYEs at the state tournament.
Then again, the over abundance of AAA Region 4 ranked wrestlers may be a result of the majority of voters being from Region 4.

Thanks - Brent

You can do a similar analysis for AA/A region 1. It is a travesty also. If you take it further, you will see numerous 2016 state tournament qualifiers piled into the same weight classes in region 1. While all of these wrestlers get beat out, we have to look at the other side of the equation. That being who qualifies from the other regions. Their rankings, their records, their in season accomplishments, etc. The AAA region 4 and AA/A region 1 kids beat themselves out. This leaves the door open for other regions to cake walk into the state tournament.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:24 pm

Bearhugger wrote:
brentsams wrote:
mscoach4 wrote:

113 - 6 ranked wrestlers
120 - 5 ranked wrestlers
132 - 6 ranked wrestlers
138 - 5 ranked wrestlers
145 - 5 ranked wrestlers
152 - 6 ranked wrestlers
170 - 5 ranked wrestlers
182 - 5 ranked wrestlers

Thanks - Brent

You can do a similar analysis for AA/A region 1. It is a travesty also. If you take it further, you will see numerous 2016 state tournament qualifiers piled into the same weight classes in region 1. While all of these wrestlers get beat out, we have to look at the other side of the equation. That being who qualifies from the other regions. Their rankings, their records, their in season accomplishments, etc. The AAA region 4 and AA/A region 1 kids beat themselves out. This leaves the door open for other regions to cake walk into the state tournament.

I think that the over abundance of region 4 wrestlers being ranked is due to their performance through the season.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:27 pm

mscoach4 wrote:
Bearhugger wrote:

Thanks - Brent

This has already happened. Having a few JVs breakthough to the state tournament only gets us closer to having the best kids in the state tournament.

If you want to have the cream rise to the top, then you need to let the best cows get milked.

vortexfan

Postby vortexfan » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:14 pm

Gator wrote:This is a snapshot of what the brackets looked like in 1971. One class, 8 regions and only the regional champ qualified for states. This was South's first state champion, Mike Deem's bracket: Back when it was tough to get to the state tournament!

I just noticed the records of the wrestlers that's when athletes could compete in multi sports a little easier (the good ole days)

vortexfan

Postby vortexfan » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:17 pm

forthekids wrote:Posted this on another thread. But like so many other things in life seems fitting here... As a member of the Brooke team the won the championship. I will always remember what Coach said at a boosters meeting when the parents thought the Region 1 was unfair. Remember it like yesterday, When asked his reply was, " The cream will rise to the top and if it doesn't then your kid was not the cream. Get over it, that is life and that is what the sport teaches." Could have heard a pin drop. From that moment on everyone knew where he stood. COULD YOU IMAGINE IF A COACH SAID THAT TO A PARNET NOW...... :D

Or they didn't get awarded the takedown to win

Return to “High School Wrestling”