Information needed

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
mattman

Information needed

Postby mattman » Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:45 am

Have a question that crosses my mind from time to time. Say wrestler blue starts the third period on the bottom and wrestler red begins the period from the top position. Wrestler blue never breaks contact or creates separation but is able to get in on a double leg on wrestler red and lifts wrestler red on his shoulder and stands striaght up. Is this atleast an escape? Happened a couple years ago and the point wasn't awarded. After the match several fans watching said it should have been one point for an escape. I couldn't figure it out so I kept my mouth shut.

Bearhugger

Re: Information needed

Postby Bearhugger » Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:38 am

mattman wrote:Have a question that crosses my mind from time to time. Say wrestler blue starts the third period on the bottom and wrestler red begins the period from the top position. Wrestler blue never breaks contact or creates separation but is able to get in on a double leg on wrestler red and lifts wrestler red on his shoulder and stands striaght up. Is this atleast an escape? Happened a couple years ago and the point wasn't awarded. After the match several fans watching said it should have been one point for an escape. I couldn't figure it out so I kept my mouth shut.

Does the period end with wrestler blue standing and holding wrestler red in the double leg?
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

mattman

Postby mattman » Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:11 pm

Bearhugger wrote:
mattman wrote:Have a question that crosses my mind from time to time. Say wrestler blue starts the third period on the bottom and wrestler red begins the period from the top position. Wrestler blue never breaks contact or creates separation but is able to get in on a double leg on wrestler red and lifts wrestler red on his shoulder and stands striaght up. Is this atleast an escape? Happened a couple years ago and the point wasn't awarded. After the match several fans watching said it should have been one point for an escape. I couldn't figure it out so I kept my mouth shut.

Does the period end with wrestler blue standing and holding wrestler red in the double leg?

No, he retuned his opponent to the mat but ended in almost exactly the Stieber/Ramos position where zero points were awarded.

coach_williams

Postby coach_williams » Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:59 pm

There are a couple of factors here. If blue puts red on his shoulder and steps across and covers the hips, then IMO that is a 2 point reversal. However, if red maintains control of blue and blue never covers red's hips, then it is not reversal nor an escape. So to me, the issue is if blue covered the hips or not.

I have seen similar calls that I questioned. For example, the bottom guy will hit his stand-up, escape and fully break contact and then immediately turn and attack the top guy and take him down, and the ref will just award a 2 point reversal rather than a 1 point escape and 2 point takedown.

grapple158

Postby grapple158 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:59 pm

I think the question is asking about a loss of control. This can happen at the end of a period or an out of bounds. If the defensive wrestler has lifted the offensive wrestler in this scenario, the referee would wait for the end of the situation. If the time is out (or out of bounds) it would be a "loss of control" and an escape point.

mattman

Postby mattman » Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:01 pm

coach_williams wrote:There are a couple of factors here. If blue puts red on his shoulder and steps across and covers the hips, then IMO that is a 2 point reversal. However, if red maintains control of blue and blue never covers red's hips, then it is not reversal nor an escape. So to me, the issue is if blue covered the hips or not.

I have seen similar calls that I questioned. For example, the bottom guy will hit his stand-up, escape and fully break contact and then immediately turn and attack the top guy and take him down, and the ref will just award a 2 point reversal rather than a 1 point escape and 2 point takedown.
contact never really broke. Several people say it had to be atleast 1 because red could not have had control when he is lifted. It was a call I was confused about a little so I thought I could hear a few opinions.

coach_williams

Postby coach_williams » Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:25 pm

mattman wrote:
coach_williams wrote:There are a couple of factors here. If blue puts red on his shoulder and steps across and covers the hips, then IMO that is a 2 point reversal. However, if red maintains control of blue and blue never covers red's hips, then it is not reversal nor an escape. So to me, the issue is if blue covered the hips or not.

contact never really broke. Several people say it had to be atleast 1 because red could not have had control when he is lifted. It was a call I was confused about a little so I thought I could hear a few opinions.

In my experience, complete control of the blue wrestler is not required for the red wrestler in this scenario to not surrender an escape point. I have seen wrestlers that were fully under the other wrestler on the mat and only have their hands locked around the leg and still not have it count as an escape or reversal.

dontlikethelights

Postby dontlikethelights » Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:26 pm

I saw a somewhat similar situation at a middle school meet last year. Wrestler A started on bottom. He ended up with both of wrestler B's legs and proceeded to stand up. He lifts wrestler B's feet approximately 4-6 inches off the mat while wrestler B is draped over wrestler A's shoulder. The action is blown dead and called potentially dangerous. No points are awarded and they restart with wrestler A on bottom.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:25 pm

dontlikethelights wrote:I saw a somewhat similar situation at a middle school meet last year. Wrestler A started on bottom. He ended up with both of wrestler B's legs and proceeded to stand up. He lifts wrestler B's feet approximately 4-6 inches off the mat while wrestler B is draped over wrestler A's shoulder. The action is blown dead and called potentially dangerous. No points are awarded and they restart with wrestler A on bottom.

I saw this exact same situation in North Carolina in 2015. I was shocked.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:25 pm

Bearhugger wrote:
dontlikethelights wrote:I saw a somewhat similar situation at a middle school meet last year. Wrestler A started on bottom. He ended up with both of wrestler B's legs and proceeded to stand up. He lifts wrestler B's feet approximately 4-6 inches off the mat while wrestler B is draped over wrestler A's shoulder. The action is blown dead and called potentially dangerous. No points are awarded and they restart with wrestler A on bottom.

I saw this exact same situation in North Carolina in 2015. I was shocked.

And it was a high school match.

mattman

Postby mattman » Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:51 pm

Bearhugger, you say you were shocked, is this because a point wasn't awarded and you feel it should have been?

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:20 pm

mattman wrote:Bearhugger, you say you were shocked, is this because a point wasn't awarded and you feel it should have been?

I have recalled the situation more accurately now. Wrestler A shot in for a double leg. He picked up wrestler B to where B's feet were approximately 12 inches off the mat. They stopped it for potentially dangerous.

Return to “High School Wrestling”