Least Amount of Time on the Mat

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
Bearhugger

Least Amount of Time on the Mat

Postby Bearhugger » Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:36 pm

Somewhere back in my past, I was at a tournament where they gave an award to the wrestler who was on the mat the least amount of time in the course of winning his weight class.

I would like to see this implemented in all tournaments to include the state tournament. The information is already kept. The only expense would be the cost of a medal (hopefully with the correct year).

It would motivate more wrestlers to "GIT R DONE" instead of dancing around until it is sudden death overtime.

I recall last year, Josh Humphreys pinned all four of his state tournament opponents in the first round in the course of winning his state title.

Regarding this year's AAA state tournament, I wonder who will be on the mat the least amount of time? Josh Humphreys or Lucas Simpkins or somebody else???????????

In AA/A, I could see Jacob Hart and Noah Adams pulling off a similar competition for Coal City bragging rights.
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

Lloyd Christmas

Re: Least Amount of Time on the Mat

Postby Lloyd Christmas » Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:44 pm

Good luck implementing that. Let's just make everything just like a peewee tournament.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:24 pm

Lloyd Christmas wrote:Good luck implementing that. Let's just make everything just like a peewee tournament.

It wouldn't take anything to implement other than some minimal effort. I do not understand the peewee tournament comment.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:41 pm

I just went through the Coalfield Conference Tournament results.

There were three wrestlers who pinned or TF all of their opponents.

Two wrestlers pinned 100% of their opponents. They were Noah Adams and Alex Daniels.

Adams: 2:20 + :26 + 1:38 + 3:56 = 500 SECONDS / 4 matches = 125 seconds/match

Daniels : 1:15 + 1:39 = 174 SECONDS / 2 matches = 87 seconds per match

Daniels got MOW.

Minimal effort.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:50 pm

Big Ten Conference Tournament

Hunter Mitchell 126: :08 + 1:15 + 2:53 = 256 SECONDS / 3 matches = 85.333 seconds per match.

Minimal effort.

Frank

Postby Frank » Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:52 pm

Could we put a weighted point scale on it some how.
For instance if a freshmen pins a senior it could be worth half the time and of course if a senior pins a freshmen it would be worth double the time.

IndyHart

Postby IndyHart » Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:55 pm

The NCAA gives out the Gorrarian Award each year for the most falls in the least amount of time during the NCAA tournament.

Frank

Postby Frank » Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:04 pm

I like the idea

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:23 pm

We had the unofficial WV State Dual Championship this year.

We will have the unofficial "LATM" award this year. One for AAA and one for AA/A.

Quit drilling tilts in practice and do more chin ups.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:25 pm

IndyHart wrote:The NCAA gives out the Gorrarian Award each year for the most falls in the least amount of time during the NCAA tournament.

Does the wrestler have to win the tournament or just whoever gets the most pins, regardless of their place?

CoachM

Postby CoachM » Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:30 am

I hate the idea. You have weight classes that are loaded with good wrestlers and each match goes 6 minutes or more and weight classes that are weak that have 1 good wrestler in them. All quick pins mean is that the weaker wrestler is not at the same level. Just like the quickest pin award. All that means is that a good wrestler went out and pinned an extremely weak opponent. If you want a real award you have to consider strength of bracket.

Gator

Postby Gator » Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:50 am

The OVAC tournament has the Hercules Award, given to the wrestler who pins all his opponents in the least time.
Moderator WV Mat

coach_williams

Postby coach_williams » Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:26 am

I like this more than MOW. MOW is just a popularity contest.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:51 am

CoachM wrote:I hate the idea. You have weight classes that are loaded with good wrestlers and each match goes 6 minutes or more and weight classes that are weak that have 1 good wrestler in them. All quick pins mean is that the weaker wrestler is not at the same level. Just like the quickest pin award. All that means is that a good wrestler went out and pinned an extremely weak opponent. If you want a real award you have to consider strength of bracket.

What you described is what we already have and will continue to have until the demise of WV wrestling. Yes, quick pins mean that the loser is no where near the level of the winner.

However, this award would give the kids more to work toward during a tournament. It would create another race between two or three wrestlers in different weight classes and give the fans something more to follow.

Lets look at the recent MSAC tournament. Josh Humphreys and Lucas Simpkins were both basically unopposed in their respective weight classes. I figure it will be this way at the state tournament also! Nobody in their weight classes are on their level.

The MOW is something that should (possibly) go to the winner who is in the toughest weight class.

The LATM award just creates another element of competition between wrestlers in different weight classes and it gives the fans something else to follow. The fans NEED more to follow. Some kids are getting so much better while more kids are getting more terrible.

Participation is low!
Fans are seeking justification to spend their time and money to go watch!
We got girls beating boys at the high school level.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:52 am

Gator wrote:The OVAC tournament has the Hercules Award, given to the wrestler who pins all his opponents in the least time.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh, so the OVAC already has this. I do not recall seeing the award winner being listed in the OVAC results though.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:53 am

coach_williams wrote:I like this more than MOW. MOW is just a popularity contest.

Understood, but using both awards only creates enthusiasm.

mike.carman

Postby mike.carman » Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:39 pm

Bearhugger. You make some good points, and if MOW would be given to the wrestler in the toughest weight class, I'd be OK with that, but currently that is not what happens. I don't put much stock in MOW as I have seen it turn into a popularity contest. Coaches should vote on the toughest three weight classes and from that there should be some criteria to decide MOW. However, least time on the mat does not show anyone what either wrestler is capable of. Okay, the kids love getting quick pins and yes that will fire them up more, but lets face it, if I know a match is going to last 10 seconds, I don't even want to watch it. I want to see high scoring, over time, comebacks, and just full time wrestling. Maybe instead of least time on the mat, most points scored. I have always been a bigger fan of the tech-fall than the pin.

Gator

Postby Gator » Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:46 pm

2016 Hercules Award Tim Young Steubenville 4 pins in 8:28
2015 Hercules Award Tariq Wilson Steubenville 4 pins

South's Steven Brogle won the Hercules Award 2 consecutive years (2011 and 2012)

You can view each year of the tournament and see results and the Hercules Award winner at OVAEC.org
Moderator WV Mat

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:29 pm

[quote="mike.carman"]Bearhugger. You make some good points, and if MOW would be given to the wrestler in the toughest weight class, I'd be OK with that, but currently that is not what happens. I don't put much stock in MOW as I have seen it turn into a popularity contest. Coaches should vote on the toughest three weight classes and from that there should be some criteria to decide MOW. However, least time on the mat does not show anyone what either wrestler is capable of. Okay, the kids love getting quick pins and yes that will fire them up more, but lets face it, if I know a match is going to last 10 seconds, I don't even want to watch it. I want to see high scoring, over time, comebacks, and just full time wrestling. Maybe instead of least time on the mat, most points scored. I have always been a bigger fan of the tech-fall than the pin.[/quote

I like all of your input on this topic. For me, I would rather see a gross mis-match over quickly so we can get onto the better matches.

I was once told by an Olympic champion that the object of wrestling was to pin your opponent. Using that logic, the longer a wrestler stays on the mat, he increases the risk of hurting himself, making a mistake and getting pinned/disqualified, etc. If I was state champion material, I would pin everybody as quickly as possible, collect my state title and then go do something else.

coach_williams

Postby coach_williams » Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:52 am

Bearhugger wrote:
coach_williams wrote:I like this more than MOW. MOW is just a popularity contest.

Understood, but using both awards only creates enthusiasm.

I actually don't mind this award. At least it is actually earned.

#bestsportever

Postby #bestsportever » Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:50 pm

How about an award for the wrestler with the most points? Anyone can get stuck if they make a bad move and get caught. Any #1 kid should be able to go out and pin the weakest kid...big deal. How many kids can use their skills and tech fall another kid in 6 minutes, no matter where they rank? I'm not sure I agree with going out and ending the match ASAP so not to prolong the match to risk injury. Wrestlers are conditioned like no other athlete and if properly done, lasting six minutes and WRESTLING should not be an issue. Survival of the fittest. Wrestle the match. Maybe having an award for most points would also encourage kids to broaden their skills and work for what they want. If tech falls were awarded more points than a simple pin then possibly the skilled wrestler and their match would be more appreciated than the 20 second match of the wrestler who's "bread and butter" is one move. I'd take the 6 minute match every time. If there is an award for the wrestler with the most points, I'd be interested in finding out more information.

dunbar76

Postby dunbar76 » Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:58 pm

I could support it for the State Tournament, not the other WV tournaments. I would restrict it though to you must have all matches as pins. No decisions. No award if this does not occur.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:08 am

Bearhugger wrote:Somewhere back in my past, I was at a tournament where they gave an award to the wrestler who was on the mat the least amount of time in the course of winning his weight class.

I would like to see this implemented in all tournaments to include the state tournament. The information is already kept. The only expense would be the cost of a medal (hopefully with the correct year).

It would motivate more wrestlers to "GIT R DONE" instead of dancing around until it is sudden death overtime.

I recall last year, Josh Humphreys pinned all four of his state tournament opponents in the first round in the course of winning his state title.

Regarding this year's AAA state tournament, I wonder who will be on the mat the least amount of time? Josh Humphreys or Lucas Simpkins or somebody else???????????

In AA/A, I could see Jacob Hart and Noah Adams pulling off a similar competition for Coal City bragging rights.

Let me clarify my post that started this discussion.

It was Least Amount of Time on the Mat. It was not the fastest pin.

This never was about one match. In the state tournament, it would be about four matches. The winner of the award would be the wrestler who got all four of his wins in the "least amount of time". I have no problem in how the matches end. It could be 4 matches ending in 30 seconds each = 2 minutes. It could be pins at 5 seconds, 10 seconds and two Tech Falls.............it doesn't matter.

It never was about the fastest pin.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:01 am

Well, if all the "posters" of the regional results include the times on the pins and Tech Falls, we can see which regional champ was on the mat for the least amount of time.

fireman

Postby fireman » Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:43 am

I would say Regional scores will be posted promptly. I don't understand why teams refuse to post results. case in point.. I couldn't make it to Winfield. several folks asked for brackets and scores.. only info was posted by teams that attended. POST RESULTS ! POST RESULTS !

RU4REAL

Postby RU4REAL » Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:14 pm

What added value does a LATM award add to the tournament that you are spending so much time on it? How about a fan of the year? Sportsmanship of the best 2 and out? Least amount of bad calls by an official? Participation ribbons for all wrestlers, coaches, and fans would be a nice addition also.

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:22 pm

RU4REAL wrote:What added value does a LATM award add to the tournament that you are spending so much time on it? How about a fan of the year? Sportsmanship of the best 2 and out? Least amount of bad calls by an official? Participation ribbons for all wrestlers, coaches, and fans would be a nice addition also.

In life, you can choose to qualify or disqualify anything and everybody.

Fan of the year: How do you measure it? How do you justify your selection?
Sportmanship: This is expected. It should not be rewarded.
Bad Calls by an official: Again, how do you measure it? Who determines if it was a bad call? Compile a committee of rednecks who do not know anything about the sport to judge a ref?
Participation ribbons: You are obviously trying to throw daggers at the LATM award.

Now, let me discuss the LATM award. There is no amount of time spend on it. The results of matches are kept during tournaments. Any moron could keep track of the pins and the corresponding times during the first round of the tournament. As wrestlers go to decisions, they obviously will drop out of the running.

What value does it add????? Well, it gives a wrestler another achievement to strive for. Pinning 3 to 4 opponents faster than anybody else displays one's superiority over his competition. The superiority comes from hard work.

Last season, Josh Humphreys pinned all four of his state tournament opponents in the first round. There could be a person who would write this off as the other 15 wrestlers were terrible. That is not the case. There were many very good wrestlers at 106 last season. Josh's opponents were the best the state of West Virginia had to offer. Josh was just that much superior.

Generally speaking, anything and everything requires effort. When a person decides to get up off their rear end and put forth some effort, they might also learn that the actual amount of effort required is not near as much as they imagined.

In my opinion, the sport of wrestling as a whole is shrinking in WV. Better individual wrestlers are being produced, however, the overall participation from one school to the next is bad and getting worse. My opinion is based on the past five years of observations of shrinking rosters, schools dropping from AAA, match cancellations, poor posting of results, returning state qualifiers/place winners who do not wrestle the following season, etc, etc.

Logan Grass won the Dutton award last season. The day will come when Logan is 75 years old and telling his grandchildren that "back in my day, I was a good wrestler". His grandchildren will say "Grandpa......what is wrestling?" Logan will reply "it was a great sport that died off due to the lack of effort from kids and adults of all ages."

Return to “High School Wrestling”