Kentucky H.S. Wrestling opts for uniform changes

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
guard0544

Kentucky H.S. Wrestling opts for uniform changes

Postby guard0544 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:54 pm

http://khsaa.org/110316-wrestling-will- ... -new-rule/

11/03/16 – WRESTLING WILL EXPERIMENT WITH NEW RULE
November 3, 2016 Wrestling Blog Updates

The Wrestling Advisory Committee met recently to discuss several ideas on how to increase participation numbers in Wrestling. One area the committee felt strongly about was the possibility to add an alternative uniform to the traditional singlet. Many felt the tradition singlet might be an inhibitor for some students and their desire to participate.

With this direction from the committee, the Commissioner recently requested permission from the NFHS Rules Review Committee to experiment with Rule 4-1, Wrestlers’ Uniform. The NFHS Wrestling rules committee has been discussing the addition of an alternate uniform for possible inclusion in the rule book for 2017-2018.

The KHSAA asked to be the state association to beta test this new concept and report our finds back to the Rules committee after the season. The rule that we will adopt for experimentation reads:

4-1-1
Art. 1…Wrestlers shall wear
a. Remains the same;
b. Remains the same;
c. A singlet with the top cut as outlined in (a) with full-length tights and stirrups. Full length tights with stirrups are acceptable under a one-piece uniform. Any other undergarment that extends beyond the inseam of a one-piece uniform shall be tight fitting, single solid color, unadorned and shall not extend below the knee. The uniform shall be a school issued uniform. (Photo 1)
d. Compression or board shorts designed for wrestling: shorts shall have a minimum 4 inch inseam that shall not extend below the knee. Shorts shall not have exposed draw strings, belt loops, zippers, snaps, buttons or pockets. The shirt shall be tight fitting, short sleeved or sleeveless and shall not cover or extend below the elbow. In addition, the length of the shirt must be longer than the torso to prevent the shirt from becoming untucked.
e. Undergarments: a suitable undergarment that completely covers the groin area. Female contestants must also wear a suitable undergarment that covers their breasts.

Note: Any legal uniform as noted in 4-1-1 shall be a school issued uniform. (See Photos)

This does not fundamentally change the rule. It should also be noted that this is not a mandated change, but rather an alternative that may be used if a school team chooses.

At the conclusion of the wrestling season, we will poll both Head Coaches and Officials for feedback on the alternative uniform. This information will be compiled and forwarded to the NFHS rules committee for their discussion on implementing this for permanent inclusion to the rule book.

– KHSAA –

Bearhugger

Re: Kentucky H.S. Wrestling opts for uniform changes

Postby Bearhugger » Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:17 pm

Too many kids these days are too out of shape and lazy to wrestle. Heck, too many of the wrestlers are out of shape and lazy.

I would like to see uniform alternatives just so we can take away the excuse of kids not wanting to wrestle because of wearing a singlet.
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

coach_williams

Postby coach_williams » Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:24 pm

I don't get it. Girls volleyball players wear shorts that are so short and tight that I feel a little uncomfortable watching them play. Football uniforms have skin tight pants that accentuate every aspect of the player's lower half. Track shorts are so short that they would not pass dress code restrictions during school hours and neither would tennis skirts. But wrestling singlets need to be changed because potential wrestlers don't like how tight and "revealing" they are?

Bearhugger

Postby Bearhugger » Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:40 am

coach_williams wrote:I don't get it. Girls volleyball players wear shorts that are so short and tight that I feel a little uncomfortable watching them play. Football uniforms have skin tight pants that accentuate every aspect of the player's lower half. Track shorts are so short that they would not pass dress code restrictions during school hours and neither would tennis skirts. But wrestling singlets need to be changed because potential wrestlers don't like how tight and "revealing" they are?

You are spot on. Some folks are just grasping at straws to find answers to increase wrestling participation. I applaud them for trying. It comes down to kids being weak, lazy and worthless these days. Not all of them, but a higher percentage as compared to 10, 20, 30+ years ago.
Holy smokes. Braxton Amos works out with a landmine now!!!!!!

coach_williams

Postby coach_williams » Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:02 am

Bearhugger wrote:You are spot on. Some folks are just grasping at straws to find answers to increase wrestling participation. I applaud them for trying. It comes down to kids being weak, lazy and worthless these days. Not all of them, but a higher percentage as compared to 10, 20, 30+ years ago.

That is exactly what it is. Coaches want more team members and are listening to the "I don't like the singlets" excuse. I have heard it myself. I applaud coaches for wanting to get more people involved in the sport as well, but if a potential wrestler is going to use the singlet as an excuse to not participate then he/she will most likely find some other reason to not participate once they realize just how hard it is to actually wrestle. I would rather have a smaller team of truly dedicated wrestlers than a large team that is 50% wrestlers who are more interested in doing virtually anything other than practice.

aaacoach42

Postby aaacoach42 » Sun Nov 06, 2016 8:21 pm

I personally hope to see the uniform change to more of a no-gi style board shorts and compression shirts. I agree that kids are way to lazy these days, and that they probably do use it as an excuse. With that said. It will draw more kids. Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu is appealing and their uniforms do offer another route without a safety concern.

It's all about getting these lazy kids off the couch. Many times just getting a lazy kid off the couch can turn a few into a dedicated wrestler. I have seen it happen with kids in BJJ. They get the flavor of competition and they become champions.

Unfortunately, West Virginia is typically slower to change in just about everything. This will be no different.

dunbar76

Postby dunbar76 » Sun Nov 06, 2016 11:00 pm

The uniform is not broke. Don't fix it.

Return to “High School Wrestling”