Seeding the state tournament

Registration required to post. Anyone can read.
Gator

Seeding the state tournament

Postby Gator » Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:10 pm

They held several state tournaments in Parkersburg, including my years in high school at Parkersburg South. I attended, but was not very educated(or didn't much care at the time) and did not know that they seeded the state tournament when only the regional champs qualified.

Below is the heading from the 1970 state tournament:

Parkersburg High School won their 10th state wrestling title at the 1970 Championship. Parkersburg narrowly defeated Charles Town who had three champions to Parkersburg's one. Morgantown's Sam Rozance became the State's third 3x State Champion. Stonewall Jackson's Heavyweight Chuck Wright won the outstanding wrestler award and tied a National Record when he recorded his 23rd pin of the year.

Charles Town Coach Gene Piscitelli was honored as the State's Coach of the Year.

This was the first year that wrestlers were not seeded as the WVSSAC pre-determined the brackets by region. Only regional champions advance to the State for the 8 man single elimination tournament.
Moderator WV Mat

dunbar76

Re: Seeding the state tournament

Postby dunbar76 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:01 pm

Chuck Wright coached HS at Dunbar for several years. I was lucky enough to have wrestled for him for his first 2 years of coaching. He worked us relentlessly. We were all better for it. He did coach at least one state champ and I think one runner up (Not me, never made states!!) before leaving coaching/teaching and going into private business. Had a major effect on my life for which I'm eternally thankful.

Return to “High School Wrestling”